In March 2008, the Council of Australian Government (COAG) agreed to develop a work program on water with actions under 4 main themes:
- addressing overallocation and achieving environmental outcomes
- enhancing water markets
- urban water reforms
- water information and capacity building.
COAG considered the work program and agreed to specific actions designed to enhance and build on the National Water Initiative.
|COAG Work Program on Water—November 2008—Agreed Actions PDF||2||21 KB|
|COAG Work Program on Water—November 2008—Agreed Actions DOC||2||45 KB|
COAG discussed water reform at its December 2009 meeting and agreed to redouble its efforts to accelerate the pace of reform under the National Water Initiative.
As a consequence of the work program and subsequent COAG decisions, governments have agreed to:
- National Water Market System
- Service standards for Trade Approval Times
- National Water Initiative Pricing Principles
- National Urban Water Planning Principles
- Strategy on Water and Wastewater Services in Remote Communities (including Indigenous Communities)
- National Water Skills Strategy
- National Framework for Non-urban Water Metering
- National Framework for Compliance and Enforcement Systems for Water Resource Management
- NWI Policy Guidelines for Water Planning and Management
- National Water Planning Report Card 2011
- Environmental water reports