Media statement: Permits to export livestock

9 April 2018

​​​​(Issued by Department of Agriculture)

Before a shipment of livestock can depart Australia, the exporter must have a licence and an export permit from the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources. The vessel must also receive an Australian Certificate for the Carriage of Livestock from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).

Before granting an export permit, the department requires the exporter to outline how they will comply with Australian Government legislation for the export of livestock.

AMSA performs a range of checks on the vessel to ensure it is seaworthy and appropriate to transport livestock before issuing a certificate.

Only after both an export permit and certificate from AMSA have been granted may a vessel depart with livestock on board.

No export permits have been issued to any vessel currently docked in Fremantle. ​

Related media statements