About the Action Plan
This National Action Plan creates targets and actions to implement the 2018 National Waste Policy. These targets and actions will guide investment and national efforts to 2030 and beyond.
- ban the export of waste plastic, paper, glass and tyres, commencing in the second half of 2020
- reduce total waste generated in Australia by 10% per person by 2030
- 80% average recovery rate from all waste streams by 2030
- significantly increase the use of recycled content by governments and industry
- phase out problematic and unnecessary plastics by 2025
- halve the amount of organic waste sent to landfill by 2030
- make comprehensive, economy-wide and timely data publicly available to support better consumer, investment and policy decisions.
This plan complements and supports the implementation of better waste management plans by state and territory governments, local government, business and industry.