Environmental Assessment under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
Australian Fisheries Management Authority, April 2017
Application on ecological sustainability
About the application
Current export approvals for the following Torres Strait fisheries will soon expire.
The Department of the Environment and Energy has received applications from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority, and will assess these for ongoing export approval.
|Fishery||Current approval expires|
|Beche de mer||27 October 2017|
|Finfish||4 August 2017|
|Prawn||4 August 2017|
|Trochus||4 August 2017|
|Tropical rock lobster||27 October 2017|
The applications have been prepared to address the Australian Government ‘Guidelines for the ecologically sustainable management of fisheries – 2nd edition’ and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the previous Australian Government assessment.
The application will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Torres Strait Beche De Mer, Finfish, Prawn, Trochus and Tropical Rock Lobster fisheries, managed consistent with the Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984 and Torres Strait Fisheries Regulations 1985, as an approved wildlife trade operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act, and
- including in the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Torres Strait Beche De Mer, Finfish, Prawn, Trochus and Tropical Rock Lobster fisheries under the provisions of the Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984 and the Torres Strait Fisheries Regulations 1985.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Download the applications
- Attachment A - Tropical Rock Lobster Fishery Map (PDF - 629.82 KB)
- Attachment B - Declaration of an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation May 2014 (PDF - 327.18 KB)
- Attachment C - Tropical Rock Lobster Survey and Stock Assessment Draft Final Report June 2016 (PDF - 2.03 MB)
- Attachment D - Torres Strait Tropical Rock Lobster Daily Fishing Log (PDF - 432.47 KB)
- Attachment E - Torres Strait Seafood Buyers and Processors Docket Book (PDF - 71.49 KB)
- Torres Strait Rock Lobster Fishery surveys and stock assessment March 2017 (PDF - 1.83 MB)
The call for public comments is open from 26 April 2017 until 31 May 2017.
Please submit your comments to:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment and Energy
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment and Energy for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section (02) 6274 1917.