The second independent review of the EPBC Act commenced on 29 October 2019. The review was led by Professor Graeme Samuel AC, supported by a panel of experts. The final report was submitted to the Minister for the Environment on the 30 October 2020 and is now publicly available.
Read the review
To read the final report, please visit the EPBC Act review website.
Further information about the review, including the terms of reference and submissions received, is available on the EPBC Act review website.
- Review supports reform for environmental law – 28 January 2021
- Reform for Australia’s environment laws – 20 July 2020
- Graeme Samuel to lead Environment Review - 29 October 2019
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) requires an independent review of its operation to be undertaken at least once every 10 years.
- The first independent review of the EPBC Act (the ‘Hawke Review’) was completed in 2009.
- An independent review of interactions between the EPBC Act and the agriculture sector was published on 27 June 2019.