Proof of concept trial of new arrangements for imported cargo
The department’s proof-of-concept trial of new arrangements for imported cargo is well underway.
Four pilots are being undertaken as part of the trial to identify regulatory and commercial controls within importer supply chains that could be used to manage biosecurity risk.
If successful, the trial will lead to more permanent arrangements that will:
- reduce regulatory intervention and costs for highly compliant importers who already invest heavily in commercial quality assurance arrangements;
- allow for biosecurity risks to be identified and mitigated early in supply chains, helping to protect Australia's agricultural producers and unique environment from harmful exotic pests and diseases; and
- lessen border congestion, providing downstream benefits for the wider economy and helping to drive business growth and job creation.
Separate importing companies were chosen to participate in the pilots following an open expression of interest process. These include:
- KMART Australia Pty Ltd
- FTA Food Solutions Pty Ltd
- Becton Dickinson Australia
- Stora Enso Australia Pty Ltd (Wood Products).
Each pilot is being co-designed with the companies based on detailed mapping of their systems, data and supply chain assurance mechanisms against biosecurity controls and risk trigger points.
Following this process, the first pilot with Kmart was rolled out in August 2021 and is in the controlled testing phase. The remaining three pilots are on track to be rolled out by the middle of October 2021.
The pilots will run in parallel to current biosecurity arrangements.
The department is also looking to continue its engagement with those importers that applied for, but were not selected for a pilot, to seek feedback on:
- initial findings of the pilots to inform the development of new industry arrangements;
- potential for additional pilots; and/or
- ways to further ease congestion and improve border clearance processes.
All four pilots will run until the end of December 2021.
Future updates and early insights will be provided here as the pilots progress.
For further information on the Trial, email the Biosecurity Operations Industry Partnerships and Engagement team at email@example.com