1 October 2021
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise the citrus industry that applications are now open for the accreditation of packhouses to export to protocol markets for the 2022 season.
Summary of changes and key points
- Applications are now open for the accreditation of packhouses to export citrus to South Korea, China, Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, USA and New Zealand for the 2022 season.
- Packhouses can complete their application forms through the Citrus Australia registration system. Applications must be completed by 5pm AEDT, Sunday 31 October 2021.
- If your packhouse was accredited by the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment for exports to the above protocol markets in 2021, your details are already in the system and you will receive an email from Citrus Australia. If you have not already received an email, please contact Citrus Australia.
- If your packhouse was not accredited in 2021 and you wish to export in 2022 to the protocol markets listed above, please contact Citrus Australia.
Specific market accreditation requirements
Packhouses exporting to the following markets must apply for accreditation:
- South Korea (all states)
- China (all states)
- Thailand (all states)
- Taiwan (South Australia only)
- Japan (South Australia only)
- USA (all states)
- New Zealand (Queensland only).
Countries with protocol markets have specific requirements for importing Australian produce.
Packhouses intending to export citrus must be accredited with us prior to export.
For specific market requirements, refer to the relevant workplan and protocol on the Manual of Importing Country Requirements (Micor) Plants website. To access these documents, you must register as a Micor Plants user.
- Packhouses must apply for accreditation annually.
- Applicants must be available for departmental audits, to ensure compliance with the relevant work plans and protocols. Some entities may also be audited by the importing country authority.
- Departmental audits may occur pre-season and/or during the season. Any packhouse that was not accredited for the 2021 season will be audited pre-season.
- Packhouse managers must be aware of all growers that have nominated to pack at their packhouse at time of audit.
- Requirements for accredited properties, including management guidelines, audit guidelines and performance standards, can be found on the Plant Export Operations Manual.
- We can only accredit a packhouse for export if all protocol requirements are met.
- If your packhouse was accredited in 2021, your details are already in the system. If you wish to change any details, do not delete your existing details. Please contact Citrus Australia to make amendments to existing details. Deleting properties may result in new accredited property numbers being assigned, which may impact access to protocol markets.
If you have any questions regarding applying for accreditation, please email Citrus Australia.
If you have questions regarding this IAN, please email the Horticulture Exports Program.
Plant Export Operations Branch