18 May 2020
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise that the Consultation Draft Export Control (Plants and Plant Products) Rules 2020 has been released for public consultation until COB 19 June 2020.
Summary of changes and key points
- The Consultation Draft Export Control (Plants and Plant Products) Rules 2020 (draft plant rules) is now available on the department’s Have Your Say page. The page also includes a series of explanatory factsheets.
- The draft plant rules set out the operational requirements that must be met to export plants and plant products from Australia. The draft plant rules will replace the existing regulations and orders and should be read in conjunction with the Export Control Act 2020 (the Act).
- The new legislation is anticipated to be implemented on 28 March 2021.
- A teleconference will be held in the coming weeks to discuss the draft plant rules. Please contact Export Legislation to register your interest to participate in the teleconference.
- Feedback on the draft plant rules must be submitted on the Have Your Say page by COB 19 June 2020.
- The current agricultural export legislation is due to expire on 1 April 2021. Consequently the department is developing improved agricultural export legislation for Australia.
- The Act received Royal Assent on 6 March 2020. The Act comes into effect on 28 March 2021.
- The draft plant rules are subordinate to the Act and make provisions that are specific to plant and plant product exports.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email Export Legislation.
Plant Export Operations Branch