20 December 2019
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise stakeholders that the new policy regarding phytosanitary security of horticulture goods for export is now in force.
Summary of changes and key points
- The new policy on phytosanitary security including transfer records is now in force.
- Transitional requirements no longer apply and exporters do not need to state ‘a transfer record is in place’ in their request for authorisation.
- Refer to the policy, available on the Plant Export Operations Manual (PEOM), to ensure you are following the correct procedures.
- Please see IAN 2019-42, and refer to the relevant factsheet for further information.
- This IAN supersedes IAN 2016-51. Authorised Officers (AOs) can still use the phrase ‘compliant labelling applied’ in the comments field of the Export Compliance Record indicating labelling requirements have been met, however this does not replace the need for transfer records.
- See the flowchart in Attachment 1 to determine when a transfer record is required.
A new phytosanitary security policy was released on 16 September 2019 as part of improvements to the department’s horticulture export certification system. The introduction of the new policy aims to make it easier for all clients in the export pathway to understand and comply with the department’s phytosanitary security requirements. Following a 3 month transition period the policy is now in force.
- Ensure that packed product with a phytosanitary status moves securely and that a transfer record is completed for each movement that occurs prior to authorisation.
- Provide the AO with the transfer record for the last movement prior to inspection.
- When required by a protocol country (USA or Korea), submit a transfer certificate request to Assessment Services Group (ASG) with the transfer record and the transfer certificate template included.
- Validate the transfer record for the last movement before inspection.
- Upload the transfer record in Plant Export Management System (PEMS).
ASG Plant Exports responsibilities
- Where requested, issue transfer certificates using the relevant transfer record for protocol countries only (USA and Korea).
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the Horticulture Exports Program.
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch