29 March 2018
The purpose of this Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to update industry on the release of the job function Export inspection of empty bulk vessels – at protected anchorage and associated instructional material.
Summary of changes and key points
- The job function BVI3001:2 Export inspection of empty bulk vessels – at protected anchorage is now available.
- The authorised officer training and assessment fee of $1750 will apply to all new applicants who have not previously applied for the BVI3001:1 Export inspection of empty bulk vessels – at berth job function.
- Authorised officers currently inspecting empty bulk vessels at protected anchorage as part of the ORAN pilot will automatically receive the BVI3001:2job function.
- Mandatory pre-requisite competencies for BVI3001:2 include:
- BVI3001:1 Export inspection of empty bulk vessels – at berth
- Declaration of boarding experience.
- There is no additional training and assessment for the BVI3001:2job function.
- The Guideline: Empty bulk vessels for export,Work Instruction: Inspecting empty bulk vessels and Reference: Work health and safety in the plant export environment have been updated to include the policy, processes and procedures for inspecting empty bulk vessels at protected anchorage. Key changes include:
- removing the requirement to submit Part A of the Bulk Vessel Approval Record (BVAR)
- a list of approved inspection locations
- instructions for boarding vessels at anchorage
- instructions on how to cancel approval for a specific hold or other area of the vessel without cancelling bulk vessel approval
- an outline of the work health and safety risks associated with boarding empty bulk vessels.
Exporter and client responsibilities
Exporters and clients must meet the requirements in the updated guideline.
Authorised officer responsibilities
- Authorised officers must comply with the updated guideline and work instruction.
- Existing authorised officers wishing to add the BVI3001:2 job function to their appointment must do so using the updated Authorised Officer change of job function form available on the department’s website. All forms must be accompanied by evidence of the appropriate pre-requisite competencies.
- New applicants wishing to apply for the BVI3001:2 job function must do so using the updated Authorised Officer application form available on the department’s website. All applications must be accompanied by evidence of the appropriate pre-requisite competencies.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the Plant Export Training.
Mr David Ironside
Plant Export Operations Branch