This course has been designed for Authorised Officer (AO) candidates wanting to perform non-protocol inspections of fruit and vegetables for export.
Prior to undertaking inspections of fruit and vegetables for export, you must be appropriately trained, deemed competent and appointed by the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment for the job function HOR3002: Export inspection of fruit and vegetables.This job function covers 13 different fruit and vegetable commodity groups. You can choose to be trained in either a single group or combination of groups. A list of the different groups and the specific commodities they cover, is available in the Reference: Table of authorised officer job functions within the Plant Export Operations Manual.
The learning and assessment methods for this course include:
- Mandatory facilitated training
- Competency based assessment.
A working knowledge of export inspection requirements, procedures and techniques is fundamental for AOs carrying out this job function.
This course provides you with the knowledge and skills to effectively:
- conduct, document and record inspections of fruit and vegetables for export
- comply with legislation, organisational and industry standards
- understand the hazards and risks involved in the inspection of fruit and vegetables, in regards to work health and safety and the environment
- understand your role and responsibilities as an AO, in performing inspections of fruit and vegetables for export.
eLearning (Approximately 6 hours)
The eLearning has been designed to give candidates a broad overview of plant exports, prior to commencing facilitated training.
Completing the eLearning prior to commencing the mandatory facilitated training is recommended, as it allows candidates to focus on applying their knowledge and conceptual understanding of the eLearning to ‘real-world’ problems and scenarios covered during the facilitated training.
The eLearning includes:
- Plant export essentials—an introduction to plants and plant product exports, plant export legislation, work health and safety, communication, making good decisions, export treatments, and importing country requirements (approximately 5.5 hours).
- Conducting inspections of fruit and vegetables for export—pre-inspection, inspection, sampling, and how to pass or reject the consignment (approximately 40 minutes).
Note: If you have successfully completed the plant export essentials through eLearning for another job function, you will not be required to repeat this eLearning.
Mandatory facilitated training (Approximately 6 hours)
After enrolling in the eLearning, you are required to participate in facilitated training delivered by a department Plant Export Assessor (PEA) to further develop your skills and knowledge.
The combination of the eLearning, instructional material published on the Plant Export Operations Manual and facilitated training will develop your understanding of your role and responsibilities as an AO when performing this job function.
Competency based assessment (Approximately an initial 2.5 hours, then 25 minutes per commodity group)
After completing the eLearning and facilitated training, you are required to demonstrate your competency to a PEA, through an assessment.
Refer to the HOR3002 Candidate Advice for more detailed information about the assessment competencies and requirements.
|Candidate advice: HOR3002 Export Inspection of fruit and vegetables PDF||7||233 KB|
|Candidate advice: HOR3002 Export Inspection of fruit and vegetables DOCX||7||150 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
Following successful completion of the course, and being deemed competent by a PEA, you must:
- maintain ongoing competency
- carry out this job function in line with the relevant policies and procedures
- be audited by the department
- participate in additional training and assessment as required.
This job function has no pre-requisites to enrolment.
On successful completion of the course, you will receive an Instrument of Appointment accrediting you in the job function HOR3002: Export inspection of fruit and vegetables—for the commodity groups for which you have been trained—permitting you to inspect those commodities for export, on behalf of the department.
This course is flexible and the duration varies significantly from person to person. The duration of each course requirement (outlined under Course Requirements) is a guide only and you are encouraged to only nominate for an assessment when you determine you are ready.
- eLearning – online
- Mandatory facilitated training – will take place at a location of the candidate’s choosing, in consultation with a Plant Export Assessor
- Competency based assessment – will take place at an export registered establishment, registered for inspecting fresh/dried fruit, vegetables, cut flowers or nursery stock, to be arranged by the candidate.
You can commence the eLearning at once you have been enrolled in it, however facilitated training will take place at a date arranged by the candidate and the department, depending on demand.
Fees and charges apply to becoming an AO and maintaining your AO appointment. Further information about AO fees and charges is available on the department’s website.
Email: Plant Export Training
Phone: 1800 851 305
Note: Candidates are not required to complete these courses to become appointed in the HOR3002 job function.
Related Instructional Material
For more detailed information about this job function, please refer to the instructional material under the Product Inspection: Horticulture section in the Plant Export Operations Manual.