Date of issue: 13 April 2021
Date of effect: 1 January 2021
Reference Number: MAA 2021-04
Organic operators and exporters, organic certifying bodies, industry bodies
This Market Access Advice provides information on the labelling requirements for organic goods produced for sale in Great Britain (GB). It applies to organic food producers, sellers and importers in GB. Australian exporters may be requested by their importers within GB to make changes to organic goods labels.
- In GB, organic food producers, sellers and importers must be registered with one of the GB organic control bodies.
- Pre-packed foods can only be labelled ‘organic’ if at least 95% of the ingredients of agricultural origin are organic.
- Organic food must state the control body’s code number in the format of ‘GB-ORG-XX’.
- Full details are available at:
- The labelling changes apply from 1 January 2021 and must be made by 30 September 2022 for products placed on the UK market.
- The Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment encourages all exporters to work with their importer to ensure that the product meets current importing country requirements.
The information provided in this advice is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.