Date issued: 25 June 2009
AQIS notice number: 2009/5
Date of effect: Immediate
Date of expiry: Until further notice
AQIS contact: Julie Crockett, phone: 02 6272 3933, email
Distribution category: Approved Certifying Organisations; Organic Industry Export Consultative Committee (OIECC) members
Last notice in this category: Nil
Instruction issued under: Export Control (Organic Produce Certification) Orders
1. To advise that Edition 3.4 of the National Standard for Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce dated 1st July 2009 has been released. View the new edition of the standard.
2. The National Standard for Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce is the requirement organic produce must comply with in order to be certified by an approved certifying organisation and be eligible to enter the export market.
3. The National Standard is used for market access equivalence negotioations with importing countries.
4. Existing operators will have twelve months to ensure they comply to Edition 3.4 of the National Standard. Any new operators to the organic certification process must comply with Edition 3.4 immediately.
5. Operators need to be aware of and hold a copy of the current National Standard for Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce to enable them to comply with the requirements.
6. All certified organic produce has the potential to enter the export market and therefore should comply with the National Standard. Produce may be used as an ingredient in product that is intended for the export market or may be exported by a wholesaler without the operator’s knowledge.
7. AQIS approved certifying organisations are to:
8. Inform operators of the release of Edition 3.4 of the National Standard dated 1st July 2009.
9. Ensure all operators under their certification have access to and hold a copy of Edition 3.4 of the National Standard for Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce dated 1st July 2009.
10. Assess compliance to Edition 3.4 of the National Standard ofr Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce throught their annual audit process.
11. AQIS are to provide each certifying organisation with a copy of the National Standard for Organic Produce Edition 3.4 dated 1st July 2009.