Date of issue: 23 December 2021
Date of effect: Immediate
Reference Number: MAA2021-24
- Industries—Industry bodies – Australian Food and Grocery Council (AFGC) and Australian Honey Bee Industry Council (AHBIC).
- Export honey and other apiculture products establishments
- Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment —Central and Regional offices
To provide an update on the new export listing requirement, further to Market Access Advice MAA2020-15, as advised by the Saudi Food and Drug Authority (SFDA) for the export of honey and honey products to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).
- Following submission of a list of honey processing establishments to the Saudi Food and Drug Administration (SFDA) for their approval in April 2020, the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment has received advice from the SFDA of additional requirements.
- The department notes that SFDA has published the Process for Approving Foreign Competent Control Authorities and Establishments Interested in Exporting Food Products of Animal Origin to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The department understands that SFDA must approve the department as the foreign competent control authority in order to recommend listing of honey establishments.
- Specifically, SFDA advised the department that inspection of the facilities by SFDA’s technical team is required to confirm that its requirements has been met before the establishment is approved.
- The department is currently seeking to engage with the SFDA on this matter and to clarify the process for inspection. Once received, this information will be notified via market access advice.
- Exporters should note the commercial risk of exporting honey to Saudi Arabia without prior approval of the processing establishment by SFDA. The department encourages exporters to work with their importers to ensure products meet current importing country requirements.
Further information can be found on Micor or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.
The information provided in this advice is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.