19 March 2020
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-04 PDF||2||164 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing this file, please visit web accessibility.
Special: All livestock by sea
- Animals Australia
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians
- Australian Livestock Exporters Council
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
To provide clarification about the department’s requirements for accredited stockpersons and Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians (AAVs) on livestock vessels and to provide information about options for stockperson and AAV accreditation.
- It is a requirement under the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock that all livestock voyages are accompanied by an accredited stockperson.
- AAVs will continue to be required as described in EAN 2016-14.
- To assist with workforce supply, LiveCorp has made arrangements for an alternative pathway to stockperson accreditation, where a person can demonstrate appropriate skills and experience.
- The department will fast-track any applications for accreditation as an AAV.
- Exporters should contact the department early to understand the AAV requirements for their consignment.
- Exporters who have identified skilled and experienced stockpersons who are not currently accredited should contact LiveCorp directly to discuss the alternative accreditation pathways available and how to apply. A person does not need to be an Australian citizen to be an accredited stockperson.
- New AAV applications, or applications to vary existing AAV accreditation to include shipboard services, should be submitted to the department in the usual way. Please advise if you need the department to fast-track assessment. The department can also provide advice to prospective AAVs around the requirements for completing the online training modules through Animal Health Australia.
Livestock exporters have informed the department that it is becoming increasingly difficult to source accredited stockpersons and Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians (AAVs) due to COVID-19 related travel restrictions.
Director, Operations and Governance
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture
Phone: 02 6272 4581