29 November 2013
Cattle exported to Indonesia (feeder, slaughter and productive heifers)
1. Registered Premises Operators
2. Livestock exporters
3. Department of Agriculture Live Animal Exports officers
4. Department of Agriculture Registered Premises Operator Auditors
5. Department of Agriculture regional managers
To advise licensed exporters and Registered Premises operators of new requirements for the preparation and export of feeder and slaughter cattle and productive heifers (hereafter referred to as cattle) to Indonesia which are valid until 31 March 2014. These requirements do not apply to breeder cattle.
The new requirements include new health conditions and an arrangement to provide a list of the Registered Premises used to assemble and prepare cattle for export. The Registered Premises list includes the LAE code and the name and physical address of each premises.
This list will be updated and provided to the Indonesian authorities on a quarterly basis. The arrangements for including new Registered Premises on the list are still under discussion.
Under this arrangement, the unique Department identification code (LAE code) of the Registered Premises will be included on health certification issued by the Department for cattle to Indonesia.
As the new health protocols came into effect immediately, Indonesian import permits valid until the end of 2013 may reference either the new or the old health protocols.
During this transition period to the new health conditions, there may be instances where shipments will include cattle prepared under the old and new agreed health conditions depending on the import permit and date of issue of letter of recommendation:
- For import permits referencing recommendation letters dated prior to 10 October 2013, cattle are to be prepared for export under the old health conditions.
- For import permits referencing recommendation letters dated 10 October 2013 or later, cattle are to be prepared under the new health conditions and in Registered Premises that are on the current Indonesia Registered Premises list.
Please note the current Indonesia Registered Premises list is available on MICoR (LAE code only) and a full version will be provided to exporters separately.
Registered Premise Operators
- Only Registered Premises on the current Indonesian Registered Premises list are able to assemble and prepare cattle for export to Indonesia under the new requirements.
- The process of adding additional Registered Premises to the list is yet to be agreed with the Indonesian authorities. As such, automatic approval cannot be guaranteed by Indonesia. Should a Registered Premises operator want their premises to be included on the Registered Premises list, the operator should contact the Department.
- Exporters are advised to carefully review import permits and any attached technical recommendations. Cattle are to be prepared for export in accordance with the relevant health conditions.
- Exporters are required to provide any attached technical recommendations with the import permit when submitting an NOI to the Department.
- Prior to submitting an NOI, exporters are advised to confirm with Registered Premises operators that the premises is on the current Indonesian Registered Premises list. Should an exporter prepare cattle (feeder, slaughter or productive heifers) for export to Indonesia by sea or air in a Registered Premises that is not on the current list these animals are not eligible for export to Indonesia.
- If exporters wish to nominate different Registered Premises after submitting an NOI they should promptly advise the Department of these changes.
- In cases where multiple import permits are being used for a consignment, exporters are required to advise the Department’s regional veterinary officer of the Registered Premises (including name of premises and LAE code) where cattle are being prepared for export under each import permit.
- Exporters are required to provide an identification list of all cattle loaded to the Master of the vessel.
- Once the vessel has been loaded, exporters are required to provide the Indonesian importer with the following documentation:
- A copy of the identification list.
- The LAE code, name and address (including state or territory) of the Registered Premises used for the preparation of the cattle prior to export. The LAE code must be consistent with the codes that are included on the Health Certificate and the LAE code, name and address must be consistent with the Indonesian Registered Premises list which will be provided to exporters separately.
There is no requirement for this information to be attached to health certificates and exporters are therefore not required to provide this documentation to the Department.
- Points 3-7 above only apply to consignments being prepared under the new requirements.
Department of Agriculture Regional Veterinary Officers
- Prior to issuing permission to leave for loading, regional veterinary officers are to confirm that for each import permit issued under the new requirements, all Registered Premises used to prepare cattle for export are on the current Indonesian Registered Premises list.
- The LAE codes of the Registered Premises where cattle are being prepared for export under each import permit are to be included on the health certificate as indicated in the template at the bottom of the final page.