Applications Open: Monday 18 October 2021
Applications Close: Monday 5.00pm (AEDT) 29 November 2021
The Australian Government is inviting Indigenous organisations and enterprises to apply for up to $9.7 million in grants under its Sea Country Indigenous Protected Areas Program.
- Oceans Leadership delivers $9.7 million for Sea Country - media release 18 October 2021
This program seeks to increase the area of sea in Indigenous Protected Areas (IPAs) to strengthen the conservation and protection of the marine environment, while creating employment and economic opportunities for Indigenous Australians.
Successful applicants will be funded to:
- undertake planning and consultation activities to support the development of new Sea Country IPAs or expand the area of sea in existing dedicated IPAs.
- employ Indigenous Australians to undertake on-ground/on-sea activities such as pest plant and animal management, threatened species protection, foreshore debris removal, cultural site management and sea patrols.
Grants will be between $800,000 and $1.3 million and are only available to Indigenous organisations. Grant projects are expected to start in early 2022 and will be funded until June 2023.
Grant Opportunity Guidelines and Application Form
The grant opportunity guidelines, application form, and details on how to apply are available at GrantConnect - GO5137.
Grant Opportunity Webinar
At 3.00pm (AEDT) 28 October 2021, a Webinar will be held to provide information to assist applicants to understand the Sea Country IPA grant opportunity application process. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your attendance and to be sent a link to the Webinar.
Sea Country Indigenous Protected Areas Program
The Sea Country Indigenous Protected Areas (IPAs) Program was announced on 23 April 2021 as part of an Australian Government $100 million investment in the management of ocean habitats and coastal environments and reducing emissions.
- Australia announces $100 million initiative to protect our oceans - media release 23 April 2021
- Sea Country Indigenous Protected Areas Program Grant Opportunity Factsheet (PDF 2.5MB)
- Sea Country Indigenous Protected Areas Program Grant Opportunity Factsheet (DOCX 279KB)
If you have any questions regarding the Sea Country IPA Grant Opportunity, please contact:
Telephone: 1800 803 772
Torres Strait. Credit: John Rainbird