The Office of the Science Convenor provides support to the department's Science Convenor, Dr Dirk Welsford, and the Science Council.
The Science Convenor and the Office of the Science Convenor (OSC):
- support the work of the Future Department Blueprint science chapter, focused on improving the delivery and application of the department's science. It covers a variety of critically important issues including science partnerships and communication, science capability & training, and scientific workforce planning & support
- receive strategic direction from the Science Council; and
- help support the work of the Science Council sub-groups.
The Science Council is chaired by Dr Geoff Garrett and is comprised of senior departmental staff who are science champions and/or have responsibility for the department’s science-rich sections. It provides strategic oversight for the work of the Science Convenor, the OSC and the Science Council Sub-committees. The Science Council’s objectives are:
- to help ensure the department and our portfolio agencies have the capacity and capability to deliver credible, authoritative scientific advice to inform departmental policy, regulatory, operational and management activities; and
- to help support the advancement of science in the department and its portfolio agencies, particularly through implementation of the Science Strategic Action Plan (SSAP) and the Future Department Blueprint.
Contact the Office of the Science Convenor at firstname.lastname@example.org.