We protect Australia’s natural resources, agriculture and precious way of life. For today and for future generations.
We deliver policies and programs for a strong economy and a healthy environment. We:
- drive strong and sustainable agricultural industries
- manage our unique environment and heritage
- support our regional communities
We are informed by science. We are innovative and collaborative. We look to the future.
Our role is diverse and far reaching.
We work across the breadth of our vast and valuable resources. On the land and water and in towns and cities. We:
- assure our clean and green status by keeping pests and diseases out of Australia
- protect and sustainably manage Australia’s biodiversity, ecosystems and heritage
- prepare and coordinate our response to outbreaks of pests, diseases and weeds
- provide data and analysis on agriculture and the environment
- support sustainable natural resource management
- establish and manage Commonwealth protected areas
- maintain and secure new markets for Australia’s agricultural exports
Working with you
We work with our stakeholders, governments and the public to achieve our objectives.
We seek feedback through:
- public consultation
- industry forums
- consultative committees
- international delegations
- working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
Discover how you can share your ideas.
To meet our objectives, we:
- provide advice to the Australian Government
- deliver programs
- administer legislation
We are a regulator. We enforce laws relating to:
- pest and disease risks of goods, people and vessels arriving in Australia
- agricultural goods exported from Australia
- protection of the environment and biodiversity
- use of pollutants and hazardous substances
- imported food safety
- imported wood and paper products
- Import and export of wildlife
- agricultural levies
- water efficiency labelling for household and plumbing products
Read more about our responsibilities and the laws we administer.