We value the contribution graduates make to our work programs.
Who we’re looking for
Our graduates help us achieve our goals. They are our future leaders.
We encourage you to apply if you:
- like to tackle important issues
- are open to doing things differently
- anticipate and adapt to new situations
- are mindful of the impact you have on others
- make things happen to ensure success
What you’ll get
Our graduate programs support your transition from university to the workplace.
You will gain:
- a Diploma of Government
- full-time working experience
- on-the-job training
- learning and development opportunities
Our department was established on 1 February 2020. Before this, we were the:
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of the Environment and Energy (Environment portfolio)
We don’t yet have information on our 2021 graduate program.
How to apply
Applications for our 2021 graduate program will open in March 2020. Please check back for more information.
2020 program applications are now closed.
To join us as a graduate you need to:
- be an Australian citizen
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree (or higher qualification) before the start of the program
- have a police check
- obtain a security clearance
If you received your degree overseas you will need to have it recognised. For more information visit the international education page at Department of Education.
Your suitability for the graduate program will be assessed against the APS Work Level Standards.
The selection process will include:
- responding to selection criteria
- psychometric testing
- interviews (video, telephone or face-to-face)
- attendance at an assessment centre
- reference checks
We work to enable all applicants with relevant skills and experience.
If you need special assistance, such as wheelchair access, include this in your application. Read more about how we can support people with a disability.
Diversity and inclusion
We are committed to building a diverse workforce.
We encourage all graduates to apply. This includes:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander graduates
- people with a disability
Our strategies help drive an inclusive and supportive graduate program. As a new department, we are still updating our corporate information. We will release updated strategies soon.